The iPod touch 2g new bootrom is often mixed up with the iPod touch 3G. However there are huge differences between the 3G and the 2G new bootrom. First you should check if you have a 3G or a 2G but checking these items down below.
1. An iPod touch 3G must have been purchased after september 22nd 2009
2. A iPod touch 3G only came in 32gb and 64gb
If you bought (what you thought was a 3G) a 8GB or 16gb “3G” It is technically an iPod touch 2g with a new bootrom to patch the exploit with jailbreaks
Now if you are an iPod Touch 2G MC model then means you have probably been having trouble with jailbreaking since blackra1n. The issue with the iPod touch 2G MC is it has a patched iBoot which is different then all of the other device exploits. The iPod touch is vulnerable to the same userland jailbreaks like jailbreakme because that doesn’t exploit the bootrom. There is currently no 4.2 and 4.2.1 jailbreak for this device however there is some in the works by @microexploit using the USB control exploit in the iPod touch 2G. Now his jailbreak is tethered but it is a start to a 2G new boot rom jailbreak for FW 4.2 and 4.2.1
How to jailbreak on 4.1 (Green Pois0n USB control exploit) untethered
1. Download greenpois0n from http://greenpois0n.com/
2. Open the program and have your device connected.
3. Click prepare for jailbreak
4. At this time it will prompt you to put the device in DFU mode using the instructios.
5. Once succesfully in DFU mode simply click jailbreak.
6. At this point GP will exploit the device and basically jailbreak it.
7. If you see the device in recovery wait for at least 30 seconds and it should go into verbose boot.
8. Reboot and install cydia with loader.
Note: This jailbreak is really buggy and often causes kernal panics. These panics can be fixed by a simple restore within iTunes.
Can be jailbroken on 4.0 with Jailbreak me
To jailbreak simply load JailbreakMe on your device and slide to jailbreak
Tutorial is posted here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL_ylxjso4s
Note: JailbreakMe is not a bootrom exploit.